This weekend Glasscock County celebrated its 125th anniversary of existence. Festivities kicked off with an Open House of the newly renovated and historically restored Glasscock County Courthouse, followed by a rededication presentation led by Glasscock County Judge Kim Halfmann who welcomed county residents to the event.
Alan Dierschke, County Treasurer, spoke about the history of Glasscock County and the Courthouse. He noted that the original courthouse and jail was built in 1894, and the current Courthouse in use was constructed in 1910. Other guest speakers included John Kinnibrugh who spoke about how the Volunteer Fire Department has evolved over the years and recognized a volunteer that had served with the department for 65 years; and Christy Seidenberger gave a brief history of the EMS department, and Kallie Kohls York told her personal story and gave a testimony about how the volunteers from both the EMS and Fire departments have made a difference in her life.
Cheryl De Cordova read a proclamation from District 72 Representative Drew Darby about the 125th anniversary of Glasscock County.
There will be a second viewing of the Glasscock County Courthouse tomorrow evening from 7 to 8 PM, followed by a performance from Jake Hooker and Outsiders.
The restoration of the Glasscock County Courthouse was a $10 million project that included the construction of a new annex, and updates to the county jail building.